Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nightmare – From the Attacker

Background: The following is inspired by a nightmare a good friend had written about some time ago.

I don't really like my job. And it didn't help matters for me to have inferiority complex, which magnifies under the scrutiny of the Protected. It scares the hell out of me when they kept staring at me whenever I appear around them.

Yes, I know, I do emit and aura of fright and terror with black-tentacle-like representation of what is supposed to be just my swaying hair. And I know that I have to be consistently under the onyx hood that's supposed to be my only protection against the harsh environment they called Earth. The loud noises caused by the colliding of the air molecules gives me headaches.

Talk about 'favourable' working conditions. Compounded with unappreciative clients.

It is not an easy job watching over the Protected over a distance from the Creatures. Just some hours ago, my hair-held radar spoilt when watching over this pair of sisters in the shopping mall. I had to follow them frantically while trying to use my rusty Sense to track the flock of Creatures that were following them closely for the past few days. Man, my self-esteem hurt a great deal when those sisters fled upon seeing me. But at least they managed to get into their safe house before those flock could do anything to them. I got my radar back online later and vaporised them before they could regroup outside the safe house.

It's kinda lonely out there, staying all by myself in this old building for the next couple of years till the sisters turn twenty-one. That will be when the Creatures cannot bother them any more. Then I will use my ten-year leave entitlement to go back home and take care of my kids, which I forfeited previously because of my failure.

I am still having my share of day-mares ever since I failed my previous assignment. I could never forget her scream of anguish as the Creatures dragged her to their wormhole, as I watched helplessly just a few metres away.

It's been a long evening. I shall check out the cityscape for a moment of relaxation before commencing my nightly patrol around their house. As I stared towards the city lights, the family of them stared at me downstairs. I still remember those faces, particularly that Lucy girl who gave me a hard time many years ago. It was miraculous that she survived till now.

I chuckled to myself bitterly, and retreated to the shadows for the start of another long darkness ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment