Sunday, January 24, 2010

Flash

Written upon request to match the drawing from A3 Fencers.

“Welcome back to the finals for the Annual Fencing Masters.”
“We are currently at the final bout between the finalists vying for the coveted trophy and honour for this prestigious competition.”

“The score now is 14 to 14.”

Salutes.

“En garde, Prêt,”

“Allez!”

***

When I first saw Clare, I did not pay much attention to her, until one fine day when Coach commented, “She has the potential I am looking for in a female fencer.” For a while more, I looked at her. Indeed, she had the aura of strength that could be mould into a future champion.

From then on, I noticed her more and more.

She was never a demure lady that anyone would expect of females at her age, but yet something about her intrigued me. Or perhaps attracted my metallic attention like a magnet.

“Hey Alan!” She would call out to me joyfully every time we see each other at the piste.

Very often, I couldn't take my eyes off her. I had to slap myself awake and get on with training.

***

I have known Ben for as long as I remember, and somehow we always had the same interests. Same school, same CCA, same dietary preferences. We even lived in the same block, before I moved away to 'the other side'.

I never thought that our similarities would bring us much trouble until Clare came along.

***

All this while, I had been telling myself that my perceived 'feelings' for Clare are temporary.

“It is just an infatuation lar. It will be over real soon.”

“It's just a passing phase. A passing phase! You are just desperate lar.”

But every time people around me talk about the 'possibility' between both of Ben and Clare, since they seem so close now, that bottle of water would taste lemons. I still had to force a smile in front of them, because no one knows what I am thinking. No one should know, not even Clare.

Living in that state of conflict, I often wonder where my heart truly lies.

***


“You got it all wrong, Clare! I... I... would never...”

I never forget that conversation I had with Alan that day. I never seen him so flustered, so frustrated, and so agitated in denial.

Ever since the day I joined the club, I always felt something from Alan. Surprisingly, I am not uncomfortable at all.

And ever since Ben told me his feelings towards me on the bus trip home, everything changed. I truly appreciate his love, and I am more than willing to give it a shot for the both of us. My heart says yes, but my mind told me I am not ready yet. And so we became closer, sharing our lives to the fullest detail, understanding each other, until I am ready to say yes.

But I never knew that things would become such a mess.

And now, right in front of me, is Alan and Ben slugging it out in the finals of the competition. A close match as it ever was during trainings. But I am feeling an aura of ruthlessness from the both of them throughout the bout.

Hopefully, I am being paranoid in my above statement.

And hopefully, both of them would be safe.

***

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six,”
“Five,”
“Four,”
“Three,”
“Two,”

Flash!

“BEEP!”

“Touché. 15 to 14.”

“Bout.”

No comments:

Post a Comment