Friday, October 15, 2010

A blind date

I peeked at my watch. One twenty three.

Here's your iced lemon tea, sir.”
Thank you.”

I took a sip to calm my nerves. Two more minutes before she arrives. It's not that I was very enthusiastic about meeting her, but...

My eyes fixed on my swirling iced lemon tea.

Good afternoon, is this Aaron?”

I looked up with a start.

Oh yes, so you must be Belle?” Someone guided her to the seat in front before leaving. She retracted her walking cane and placed it at the side of the table.

Miss, you may bring it here.” I called out to the waitress. I heard from my mum that you like Oreo cheesecake, so I've made some.”

Her smile was sweet.

***

I recalled the conversation I had with my mum a few days ago before this meeting.

See, I told you to look for a girlfriend in your university, but you didn't listen. Now you are working already, how to have the time to look for one??”

I gave her the sarcastic “Yes Mum” look.

Aiya, tell you what. I have a friend whose daughter is still single. Many people say she is a nice girl. I haven't met her before, but I think she is a nice girl since everyone says so. I help you arrange a meeting this weekend. So you better keep this weekend free.” Shortly afterwards, she took out her phone and dialled.

Ah yes, yes. I heard your daughter is really sweet. Haha. Oh my son ah... he's a little dense, but he's still a fine chap... Yes, yes... you will arrange with your daughter for this Saturday? Oh sure... I will let him know the details later. Thanks a lot. We should meet up for tea some day soon too, don't you think?”

*Click*

Remember. Keep your Saturday free...”

***

She laughed heartily at my attempted imitation of my mum's voice and mannerism.

You sounded like my mum too, other than her being a little more subtle when coercing me to come along for this.”

She scooped into the plate of oreo cheesecake. She finished half of it already.

Do you have anything in mind to talk about?” I stirred my glass of tea.

Well, normally, I prefer to listen to others instead...” She chuckled and looked towards me.

The clinging sound of the ice cubes in my tea made that quiet moment a little easier to bear.

After a while, she chuckled again. I followed a little awkwardly.

Many apologies, I am not good in keeping conversations going.” The ice cubes clang louder.

No worries, moments of tranquil can be more engaging than words.” She grinned, and scooped and savoured the cake slowly.

A cool breeze blew by. I was no longer stirring my glass.

***

She finished her last scoop of the cake while I sipped the last drop of the tea.

She placed the spoon on the plate. “Shall we take a walk somewhere nearby?”

Of course.”

She extended her walking cane, and held out her other hand.

Would you please?” She asked politely.

I took off my watch and kept it in my pocket.

No problem.”

No comments:

Post a Comment